I had the opportunity to spend several hours in the garage today, so I decided to tackle my first bezel. I knew I didn't have any appropriate tools to set the stone, but I didn't actually expect to get to that point and thought I could just get the piece ready for setting.
It turned out that I've misplaced my file too, so I had to sand the bezel down. I thought it might be a bit high, but I was tired of sanding, so I stopped too soon. The first time I thought I soldered the bezel to the back plate it actually didn't, but the second time worked just fine! Woo hoo!
I didn't have anything that let me strike the tube rivet on the front without damaging the bezel, so I basically didn't. That worked okay, but isn't ideal. And the lack of a file meant that finishing the edges of the piece wasn't done as well as it should have been. Oh, and when I soldered the jump ring I almost undid the solder on the bezel... But aside from that I thought it was all going well!
So I foolishly decided to try to set the stone. I had read that you can use a cut-off old toothbrush to bezel set fragile items so I thought I would give that a try. I couldn't hold the piece steady, and although the toothbrush worked, it didn't work easily. I ended up using my hammer to push over the bezel. This created a very rustic look that I almost like, but it does need some refinement.
All in all this was an entertaining and educational experience, even if the piece is far from perfect. Very far...
Mushroom Quinoa Burger
1 day ago