I had the opportunity to spend several hours in the garage today, so I decided to tackle my first bezel. I knew I didn't have any appropriate tools to set the stone, but I didn't actually expect to get to that point and thought I could just get the piece ready for setting.
It turned out that I've misplaced my file too, so I had to sand the bezel down. I thought it might be a bit high, but I was tired of sanding, so I stopped too soon. The first time I thought I soldered the bezel to the back plate it actually didn't, but the second time worked just fine! Woo hoo!
I didn't have anything that let me strike the tube rivet on the front without damaging the bezel, so I basically didn't. That worked okay, but isn't ideal. And the lack of a file meant that finishing the edges of the piece wasn't done as well as it should have been. Oh, and when I soldered the jump ring I almost undid the solder on the bezel... But aside from that I thought it was all going well!
So I foolishly decided to try to set the stone. I had read that you can use a cut-off old toothbrush to bezel set fragile items so I thought I would give that a try. I couldn't hold the piece steady, and although the toothbrush worked, it didn't work easily. I ended up using my hammer to push over the bezel. This created a very rustic look that I almost like, but it does need some refinement.
All in all this was an entertaining and educational experience, even if the piece is far from perfect. Very far...
3 days ago