CREATIVITY JOURNAL

orangestarfishbanner2
Definition of "creative", according to my dictionary:
creating; able to create; inventive, imaginative; showing imagination as well as routine skill.

Saturday, March 14, 2009

YOJ week 9 - Octopus pin

Octopus pin

Copper, pencil crayons, resin. I still need to attach the pin back.

This is very much an experiment. I love the colours I get with resin over pencil crayons but am not confident of the wearability. I thought riveting it might secure it, and a second layer of copper would add depth, but the drilling and riveting actually started to lift the resin off the pencil crayon layer. Also the way I did the drilling several of the holes got large enough that I'm not confident about the rivets holding the piece together.

Pouring the resin over a flat piece had its challenges too. Without a lip to contain the resin it slightly overflowed in two places. I found it didn't coat evenly, added a second layer, and ended up with definate lines and dimples in the resin.

Despite all its flaws I am very fond of this piece. I am looking forward to wearing it.

2 comments:

Swati said...

Hmmm...I can't seem to find any of the flaws you have mentioned. In the photo, the piece looks like perfection itself. About the resin coming off...what if in the next piece you do the riveting and all other work like attaching the pin back..and just about any other work, and then doing the coloring and the resin last?

Not surprised you are fond of the piece, it really is very beautiful.

ChezChani said...

It's beautiful!!